Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Time Has Come...

Well, my car is packed, the oil is changed, I've been to the dentist, my hair is cut/colored, and I have a map (or three) that hopefully won't send me astray tomorrow. The only thing I'm really having trouble coming to terms with is leaving Gatsby. Whenever we're in the same house, he absolutely doesn't let me out of his sight. He can tell I'm leaving, and he isn't happy about it (this is obvious because he keeps trying to make a break for my car anytime anyone opens the front door).

As far as how much I packed, I'm guessing, as always, it's too much, but I feel I did quite a good job, considering I'm a hopeless overpacker. I have my entire backseat down and everything fits in quite nicely, it's not crammed at all, which makes me feel better about the return journey, because yes, I'm already thinking about how I'll pack to come back to South Carolina. I only packed 15 books, which is definitely a record low for me, though I'm sure I'll buy at least that many while I'm down there.

Now I'll move on to my Disney to-do list. Almost everything has some sort of addendum, so be prepared (if you haven't already noticed my extensive use of parentheses, you soon will. I have to comment on everything, including my own comments...consider this a blanket apology for the next four months). This list is in order from least important to most important (to me). I might add to it as I come up with more ideas, but this is a pretty good start. Some of them are interesting, however, some of them probably won't interest anyone but me.

1. Go to Harry Potter World- Kind of a cheat, because I'm planning on going on in 2 days, if we don't have any required events. I've wanted to go ever since I heard about it being built, I'm almost as big a Harry Potter freak as I am a Disney freak. In preparation, I've spent the last 13 days rereading all seven books in order.
2. Ride "Dinosaur" without closing my eyes/hiding/freaking out- As the biggest chicken in the world, I have a love/hate relationship with this ride. I profess to love it...until I'm actually on it. Then I'm terrified. It's weird, and I need to get over it.
3. Visit the beach- I've never spent a significant amount of time near the ocean (my family goes snow skiing, we don't go to the beach), or any time in Florida outside of Disney World specifically, so I'm really hoping I'll have a chance to see some Florida beaches.
4. Parasail- They offer parasailing over Seven Seas Lagoon on Disney property. I've been parasailing before, but never at DISNEY!
5. Meet an Imagineer- As someone who considers Imagineering to be one of the most amazing careers ever, I would probably have a heart attack if I actually met and had a conversation with a real live Imagineer.
6. Eat at Victoria & Alberts or California Grill- Probably the two nicest restaurants on Disney property, this is definitely right up my alley.
7. Visit Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon- These are the two waterparks on Disney property, and sadly I've never had the opportunity to visit either one. So far, at least...
8. Do every ride/attraction at least once- I've actually ridden every ride at Disney World, but I'd like to do them all again plus see every attraction (live show, movie, etc.) because I am missing some of those from my repertoire.
9. Visit every resort- I don't want to stay at every one, I just want to look around and see them all. Disney is famous for their theming, and their resorts are prime examples of creating a theme and integrating that theme into every single detail.
10. Visit all four parks in one day- Just so I can say I've done it...
11. Volunteer for Give Kids the World- GKTW is a sort of branch of the Make-A-Wish foundation located in Orlando. I couldn't give you exact facts or details, but Disney is very involved in this program, and CPers have the opportunity to volunteer (through the Disney VoluntEARS program) and meet/assist lots of Make-A-Wish kids who are visiting WDW.
12. "Backstage Magic" tour- This is the most in-depth tour offered at WDW. Seven hours of behind-the-scenes information and random Disney trivia.
13. See Wishes...x number of times- I was going to put an exact number on this one, but I can't decide how many is reasonable, considering I do have this minor detail called work to contend with. But basically, if I'm not working and I don't have other plans with friends/roommates, I plan on being at Wishes every night possible.

And I saved the best for last...
14. Get over my fear of characters! I'm not sure how many people know this, but I am absolutely terrified of people in fur costumes (that is to say, face characters, such as princesses, Peter Pan, Aladdin, etc. don't bother me, but full body suits, such as Mickey, Minnie, Donald, etc. do). It's probably so severe as to be unhealthy, but I can't help it. I've hated them (and clowns, don't even start me on clowns) since I was little. This paralyzing fear is something I really need to come to terms with, since I'm an otherwise proficient, normal (ha) adult, and I figure there's no time like the present! Please don't judge...

Well, if you've suffered through all that, I applaud you! I'm sure I'll be back before too long with an overview of my first few days, but until then...

Have a magical day!

1 comment:

  1. Who makes a list with the least important item on top, then starts the list at number 1? If you started with 14 it would have felt like a countdown, but now I'm just confused.

    :)

    By the way, I'm still waiting on my Justin Beiber board game.

    ReplyDelete